We've now been in Tucson for 2 full weeks, and it feels like we live here now, haha! This is the longest we've ever stayed at a single campground, but we are loving it. There are actually quite a few families here that are doing extended stays while schooling, so we've gotten to know a lot of people. Our campsite neighbor has 2 kids- a 9 year old boy and a 7 year old girl- which is absolutely perfect! There are also about 10-15 kids that I now know by name, and anytime I walk across the campground, I hear shouts of "Zach, your mom's coming" or "Hi Sarah's mom"!
We did a little exploring some days after school this week, but other days we just hung around the campground. There is an employee, Miss Sabrina, that runs a full schedule of events for the kids- pool parties, exercise classes, movie afternoon, tie dye, crafts, etc. The woman has the patience of a saint! It's absolutely wonderful, except that it means the kids don't ever want to leave the campground. But, I made them leave a few time, haha
One day we went to Pima Air and Space Museum. The place is absolutely massive, with 5 indoor hangers full of planes on the ground and overhead, and then additional grounds with more planes and helicopters. It reminded me of the Air and Space Museum in DC that's located at Dulles Airport (not the one on the mall). The kids really enjoyed it, but were a little bummed that some of the interactive exhibits were closed for covid. We didn't get to see all of the outdoor exhibits because it was pushing 100 degrees that day, and the air was so dry that we went through all of our water in no time. If I went again, I'd definitely go back in the morning or later in the day when it's a bit cooler!
Another night, we went for a ride with daddy up to the top of "A" Mountain. It's an easy ride up to a nice sunset viewing area. There are also sweeping views of Tucson and the mountains that encircle the city. The A was constructed by 75-100 University of Arizona students in 1916. It's usually U of A colors (red, white and blue), but this past year was painted all blue to honor healthcare workers.
On Saturday, Zach went to work with daddy, and Sarah and I had a girls day. We went to the Arizona-Senora Desert Museum. It was a combination zoo/botanical gardens that highlighted all of the living things in the whole desert- not just the part in Arizona. One section of the desert extends to the Sea of Cortez (aka gulf of california), so the museum even had stingrays! We saw prairie dogs, big horn sheep, and beavers, all in enclosures.... and lizards and snakes just roaming around out in the open (the snake was definitely NOT a highlight for me). The cacti were all in bloom and were absolutely breathtaking.
On Sunday, both kids went to work at the University, so I could have a quiet mothers day morning. I brought them lunch and we had a Jersey Mike's picnic at the top of Arizona Stadium. When we got back, we just hung at the pool, and then after dinner had mothers day s'mores before bed.
Another week and a half in Tucson! I haven't seen the event schedule for this week yet, but I'm sure the kids aren't going to want to leave :-)




































No comments:
Post a Comment